Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Act of Resistance

When I first discovered that the smoking rate in the U.S. had dramatically decreased I was extremely surprised. I personally feel that smoking has always been an ongoing problem in this nation alone, with its devastating effect on consumers. It was on November 17th that I first heard the news that the smoking rate in the U.S. may be at its lowest level since mass consumer marketing of tobacco products began in the 1920’s. The news not only served as inspiration for a possible act of resistance project, but it provided a catalyst, causing me to begin a project advocating the non-use of drugs. It was with this disposition that I first began my fight back.
I decided that the best way to influence others was to start small. For an English assignment, I felt it satisfactory that I focus on a small group of individuals. My younger sister attends Carve Academy of Mathematics and Science. For my project, I would be frequently visiting the classes in this K through eighth school in order to address the issues regarding smokers and non-smokers today. I felt it important that I speak to both issues as it is valuable to be cognizant of the effects of smoking on smokers and non-smokers alike. Starting with first and ending with eighth graders, I began to present to each of the classes my opinions on smoking and tobacco use in the U.S. today. Along with my personal opinion, I presented gathered facts and statistics which put things into a more literal perspective for the students. Through this presentation I felt I provided valuable information for the students and a reason to avoid tobacco use as well as encourage others to do the same.
Personally I felt this experience helped me to grow as it allowed me to recognize my own capabilities and, when applied, the effect I have on the decisions of others. I believe that not only did the students appreciate the fifteen minute break from class, but also the information being provided and a person who took the time to thoroughly explain the basics. One student mentioned that he appreciated details rather than the usual, "don't smoke". I'm glad that I could provide more insight on the issue and hopefully effectively enlighten the students to the risks of smoking.
Upon reflection however, there are a few things that I would like to expand upon. Given the time restraint and that I didn't want to interrupt the class for too long, I didn't feel that I had enough time to provide all of the information that I would've wanted to. However, if I were to have more time I would definitely improve upon a few aspects. For one, I would provide more information and give real life examples. Also, I would want to do some sort of crafts project with the students so that the experience would have more of a lasting effect on them. One thing in particular which I would like to do is to create T-shirts for the students with some sort of witty slogan.
When I find the time, I will most definitely continue to do such acts. I have agreed to speak at a T.A.T.U. (Teens Against Tobacco Use) Program that my sister will attend. I will also participate as a volunteer on various workshops where we demonstrate different lungs: those affected by smoking and those not, etc.
Overall, I'm glad that I've accomplished this project and I can truly see it's connection to Lysistrata. With a plan and commitment, anything is possible.

No comments: